Basic Site Details

Name: St Andrew's Episcopal Church, Lych Gate
Town, district or village: Fort William
City or county: Inverness-shire
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status: A listed
Grid ref:
Notes: A handsome lych-gate has just been erected at the entrance to the graveyard of the new Episcopal church of St. Andrew's, Fort-William. Lychgates are picturesque features rarely met with in Scotland, although by no means novel in some parts of England, especially in Kent. Throughout the country only two exist, this one at Fort- William making the third. It has been designed by Mr. Alexander Ross, of Inverness, and is of a massive character. It is made entirely of English oak, grown in Devonshire, aud has been carried out by Mr. Harry Hems, of Exeter. The lychgate has been put in situ by Mr. George Harrison, one of Mr. Hems' staff, and with the exception of a few tiles, is now complete. The clerk of works, who has superintended the erection, is Mr. Alexander Fridge. The work is the gift of Mr G B Davy of Spean-lodge, Kingussie*, who has commissioned Mr. Hems to carve sculptured doors for the western entrance of St. Andrew's church. These doors, designed by Mr. A. Ross, are of the same class as Ghiberti's celebrated gates at Florence, and in a series of panels will illustrate our Lord as the Door and the Good Shepherd. [Building News 23 December 1881 p866]

* Historic Scotland gives benefactor as George Baynton Davey of Spean Bridge.

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Lych gate  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1High Street  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 1December 1881 Completion 

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 1Alexander RossArchitect 1881  

Related Buildings, Structures and Designs

Parent Structure and Site

This structure is related to the following parent structure or site (click the item to view details):
 Building nameNotes
Item 1 of 1St Andrew's Episcopal ChurchThe foundation-stone of a new Episcopal chapel was laid at Fort William, N.B., on Friday. The architect is Mr. Ross, of Inverness, and the anticipated cost of the building is .5,000. [Building News 19 September 1879 p356]

FORT WILLIAM - St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, Fort William, was consecrated last week. The building is from the design of Mr. Ross, architect, Inverness, and is in the Early Decorated style, and consists of a nave, a chancel, and tower and spire, with a vestry at the west angle and a porch at the north-west angle. The tower, when complete, will be 100 feet high. Its base forms the organ-chamber. The material of which the church is built is red granite, with freestone dressings. The choir-benches are of oak, the carving having been executed by Mr. Harry Hems, of Exeter. The altar is ten feet wide, the front divided into three compartments by arches with columns. In the centre compartment is the St. Andrew Cross, enriched in alabaster, and in the south is a pelican feeding her young. The litany-desk and prayer-desk are carved in oak by Mr. Hems. The internal walls are relieved by bands of white freestone. The windows are filed with stained glass, by Messrs Clayton and Bell, of London. The cost has been about 10,000. [Building News 17 September 1880 p341]

Western Doors - G B Davy "commissioned Mr Hems to carve sculptured doors for the western entrance of St. Andrew's church. These doors, designed by Mr. A. Ross, are of the same class as Ghiberti's celebrated gates at Florence, and in a series of panels will illustrate our Lord as the Door and the Good Shepherd." [Building News 23 December 1881 p866]

Harry Hems of Exeter, perhaps the most outstanding ecclesiastical wood carver of the period, was also reponsible for other carvings at the church - see listing notice

Font reredos and pulpit by D & A Davidson.

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Building News23 December 1881  p866

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 1Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register31788Included in listing for the church