Basic Site Details

Name: Three Cedarwood Houses, Glenlomond Sanatorium
City or county: Kinross-shire
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: Three red cedar houses built in the grounds of the Sanatorium by Cowiesons Limited were officially opened in July 1945. Claimed to be permanent, with a life expectancy of 60 years, these had been erected by 12 workmen in four weeks and were intended for occupation by members of staff. The Glasgow Herald provided a description as follows:

Each house is prefabricated and contains a large living room, kitchen, two bedrooms and bathroom. Electricity has been installed for the heating lighting and cooking and the most modern fitments have been included in the way of a glass built-in sideboard, a folding kitchen table, folding ironing board and drying room.

Cowiesons had introduced this house type in 1943 and had already received 4,000 orders. Present at the opening were F D Cowieson, managing director and G Lockie, manager of Cowiesons.

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Housing  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 11945 Build/constructionofficially opened July 1945

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 2F D CowiesonArchitect 1945 Attended the opening as Managing Director
Item 2 of 2F D Cowieson & Co ( later Cowiesons Ltd)Architectural practice, Engineers 1945  

Related Buildings, Structures and Designs

Parent Structure and Site

This structure is related to the following parent structure or site (click the item to view details):
 Building nameNotes
Item 1 of 1Glenlomond SanatoriumOpened as Glen Lomond War Hospital. Specialist neurological section for other ranks, operating by June 1918. Returned to civilan use in 1919 and opened as a Sanitorium.


Now private housing.

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Glasgow Herald7 July 1945  p4 - official opening