Basic Site Details

Name: YMCA buildings
Town, district or village: Ayr
City or county: Ayrshire
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: It was the second purpose built YMCA building in Scotland. Facilities included a lounge, reading room, recreation room, and gymnasium with a rifle range and bowling alley in the basement. It was formally opened on 6 March 1915 by Sir Andrew Pettigrew, chairman of the Scottish National Council of YMCAS. It included two shop units on the street front which were let by the Association.

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1Carnegie Library  

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Club  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 126-30, High Street  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 2c. 1913 Build/construction 
Item 2 of 26 March 1915 Opened 

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 1Stewart KayeArchitectA1913 Won competition

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Who's Who in Architecture1923