Basic Site Details

Name: W Morton & Son premises, 139-144 Lothian Road
City or county: Edinburgh
Country: Scotland
Grid ref:

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Shop(?)  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1139-144, Lothian RoadYes 


The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 11935   


Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 3David John ChisholmArchitectA1935  
Item 2 of 3J M Dick Peddie & Walker ToddArchitectural practiceA1935  
Item 3 of 3William James Walker ToddArchitectA1935  


The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
Item 1 of 1Morton, W & Son 

Related Buildings, Structures and Designs

Parent Structure and Site

This structure is related to the following parent structure or site (click the item to view details):
 Building nameNotes
Item 1 of 1Lothian HouseA local syndicate is considering a development scheme on a site at Canal Basin where it is proposed to erect a cinema to seat 2,500, a hotel, a garage, restaurant and shops. Plans will be prepared by Messrs Lorimer and Matthew FRIBA, 43 Minto-street, Edinburgh. [Builder 20 October 1933, p632]

Messrs Scottish Cinemas Limited have acquired a site in Lothian-road, formerly the basin of the Old Union Canal, for the erection of a cinema to seat over 3,000 people. Mr C J McNair LRIBA 272 St Vincent-street Edinburgh is the architect to the company and the contract will be executed by The Scottish Construction Company, 49 Bath-street Glasgow. [Builder 4 September 1936 Page 443]

Plans have been passed for the erection of a cinema in Lothian-road. The excavation, brick and masonry work will be carried out by Messrs A Stewart and Company Limited, Glasgow. [Builder 10 December 1937 Page 1086]

Impressive monumental classical office building, occupying entire length of
street. Designed for Sir Albert Ball (Nottingham) Ltd, and built on the site of
the Port Hopetoun terminal of the Union Canal. A scheme for the site, drawn
up by Robert Mayhew, appears to have been rejected in 1934. Stewart
Kaye's initial proposals including a large hotel along Morrison Street and a
3000-seat cinema, entered from Lothian Road, were conceived with
government use in mind; the first tenants included the Inland Revenue. The
hotel was never built, but the site was subsequently taken up by the Regal
Cinema and renamed the ABC in 1969. The cinema was closed in 2000 with
the auditorium demolished and redeveloped as offices and a small multiplex
cinema (CTA, 2008).


Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 1National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSDick Peddie and McKay Collection DPM 1930/8/1