Basic Site Details

Name: Elmgrove
Town, district or village: Broughty Ferry
City or county: Dundee
Country: Scotland
Grid ref:
Notes: Pioneer example of concrete construction.

Information on client is derived from the plans in the John Murray Robertson/James Findlay Collection for a 'Villa, West Ferry' which is thought to be Elmgrove/Moyness.

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1MoynessYesName changed to Moyness by Colonel Hill who bought the house after the murder of Miss Jean Milne, the then owner, in 1912

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1House(?)  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 176, Grove RoadYes 


The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 118741875  


Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 1John Murray RobertsonArchitect 18741875 


The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
Item 1 of 1Matthew, Peter, Esq, merchant 


Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 3Dundee Archive and Record CentreJohn Murray Robertson/James Findlay Collection (from Wellwood Leslie Architects) GD/WL Bundle 5 (16 sheets drawings) ('Villa, West Ferry' - thought to be Elmgrove/Moyness)
Item 2 of 3Dundee Planning Department/NMRSDundee Approved Duplicate Plans (Originals in NMRS for dates 1867-1883; otherwise on microfilm)  
Item 3 of 3Professor David M Walker personal archiveProfessor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material Letter from Edward Beldowski, 6 January 2006