Basic Site Details

Name: The Gunge
Town, district or village: West Ferry
City or county: Dundee
Country: Scotland
Grid ref:
Notes: The Gunge or more correctly 'Gunj' is Hindi for storehouse. It was built for David Smith Luke, merchant and manufacturer, and his wife Helen Stephen Goudace (Croudace?), the feu charter being dated 6 September 1873. Bonds for 1000 (14 February 1876) and 2000 (21 June 1877), the latter from Standard Life, appear to have financed the building of the house. It became Craigmount, 46 Albany Road, after it was bought by P S Brown (Peter Saunders of Brown & Tawse): Sidney Thomson then bought it and retained the name but his widow demolished it and built a new house on the site. It was Thomsonesque in profile with the first florr verandah and tall fireclay chimney pots of Alexander Thomson pattern.

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1Craigmount Name given by later owner Petr Saunders Brown of Brown & Tawse

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Country House  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 246, Albany Road  
Item 2 of 2Fairfield Road SE corner of Albany Road and Fairfield Road, West Ferry.


Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 1Andrew Heiton (junior)Architect Before 1890  


Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Building News15 August 1890  p234
Item 2 of 2Dundee Advertiser5 March 1894  Obituary

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 1Information courtesy of Edmund Raphael-BeldowskiInformation via website Sent April 2009