Basic Site Details

Name: Muir Hall of Residence
City or county: Edinburgh
Country: Scotland
Grid ref:
Notes: The Muir Hall of Residence in George-square, associated with the University of Edinburgh, was opened by the Duchess of Buccleuch. It is intended to rent the bedrooms to the lady students. The alterations required to adapt the building to its new use have been extensive, and include the addition of two new stories and the entire remodelling of the interior. On the upper floors sleeping accommodation is provided for twenty-three students and the lady superintendent, while the ground floor is given up to a dining-hall to the back, and a drawing room to the front. The kitchen and servants' bedrooms are placed in the basement. The architects are Messrs. Dunn and Findlay, of Edinburgh. [Building News 4 February 1898 p184]

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Hall of residence  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 134-35, Drumsheugh GardensYes 


The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 11898 OpenedConverted from houses


Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 3Dunn & FindlayArchitectural practiceA1898 Converted from houses
Item 2 of 3James Bow DunnArchitectA1898 Converted from houses
Item 3 of 3James Leslie FindlayArchitectA1898 Converted from houses

Related Buildings, Structures and Designs

Parent Structure and Site

This structure is related to the following parent structure or site (click the item to view details):
 Building nameNotes
Item 1 of 11-37 Drumsheugh GardensBuilt in several phases; first plans were by Lessels, and all later phases were adapted by the Peddie & Kinnear/Kinnear & Peddie firm along with John Watherston & Sons as builders.


Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
Item 1 of 1Gifford, John, McWilliam, Colin and Walker, David M1984Edinburgh (The Buildings of Scotland) Harmondsworth: Penguin Books Ltdp372

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Building News4 February 1898  p184