Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Alexander McDonald Heaton |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||c. 1928 |
|Died: || |
|Bio Notes: ||Alexander McDonald Heaton studied at Glasgow School of Architecture. He was elected ARIBA in 1953. He worked for Alister G Macdonald in London from 1953-54, moving to Bowden Son & Partners in 1954. In 1957 he emigrated to Canada where he worked in Ottawa initially in the practice of Balharrie Helmar & Morin from 1957-59. He moved in the latter year to the practice of Burgess, McLean & McPhadyen. In 1961 he took a post as associate architect in the firm Schoeler & Barkham and became a full partner in 1964. The name changed to Schoeler Barkham & Heaton before 1968 and by 1970 was Barkham & Heaton. |
He was a council member of the Ontario Institute of Architects. He remained in Canada and was elected FRIBA in 1968, proposed by Alister MacDonald, Jack Coia and Z M Stankiewicz of Ottawa.
During his time in Ottawa his work had been recognized by the Ontario Association of Architects by six awards of excellence between 1964 and 1968 and he had received a Gold Medal for the design of the Canadian Pavilion at the Triennale in Milan in 1964. Alister Gladstone MacDonald's stated in support of his application for Fellowship that he came to the office in August 1952, just qualified) to join a young team involved in a major Government project overseas which was breaking fresh ground and he proved a 'likeable and valuable colleague and a job architect of talent. The sound basis of his technical knowledge, his keenness, his imagination and capacity to illustrate his ideas indicated that he was of higher than average competence'.
His work in the Ottawa area included leisure and commercial buildings, schools and churches.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|226, Creighton Avenue, London, England||Private||1955 *|| || |
|536, Tweedsmuir Avenue, Ottawa, Canada||Private(?)||Before 1960(?) *||After 1965|| |
|166, Carling Avenue, Ottawa, Canada||Private||1968 *|| || |
|148, Bank Street, Ottawa, Canada||Business||Before 1968||After 1984|| |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|RIBA||1961||Kalendar 1961-62|| || || |
|RIBA||1965||The RIBA Kalendar|| || || |
|RIBA||1970||RIBA Directory 1970|| || || |
|RIBA||1979||Directory of members|| || || |
|RIBA||1984||RIBA Directory of members|| || || |
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|Courtesy of Derry Robertson||Information via 'Contact Us' on website|| || |
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers||F 6558 (Box 146)|| |