Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Leonard Howarth |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||4 June 1916 |
|Died: ||21 July 2006 |
|Bio Notes: ||Leonard Howarth was born on 4 June 1916, at Horsemarket, Northampton, the son of Ernest Howarth, yeast merchant, and his wife, Emily Archer, bookkeeper. The family moved to York where he attended Archbishop Holgate’s Grammar School. He was articled to C W C Needham in York from 1933-38. In the latter year he joined the Ministry of Works and remained there until 1942, staying in digs in Gravesend during the Blitz until his office was evacuated to Wales. He was admitted ARIBA (and ARIAS) in 1941 and in the same year was awarded the Ashpitel Prize. He is described as both architect and town planner. In 1939 he had married Rosemary Dryburgh and the couple lived in Rhyl in Wales until Leonard was posted back to London. |
During the Second World War Howarth was commissioned as a captain in the Royal Engineers from 1942-46 and served in India. He kept a detailed record of his time in India, with sketches, paintings and notes of his trips.
After the cease of hostilities he returned to London, remaining there until 1949. In the latter year he moved to Fife as Deputy Architect and Planning Officer for Glenrothes Development Corporation. Initially the family (his son was born in 1944 and his daughter in 1948) lived with Rosemary’s relatives who lived in Methil but later moved to staff housing in Alburn Park in Glenrothes.
In 1952 or 1953 he moved to take a post as Senior Architect with the Scottish Division of the National Coal Board, based in Palmerston Place. The family lived in Craigmount Grove. He was appointed Burgh Architect and Town Planning Officer of Dunfermline on 10 March 1955 and he remained in this post until 1962 when he moved back to the place of his birth, Northampton, as Borough Architects and Town Planning Officer. He remained in this post until Local Government Organisation in 1974 when he retired to a small cottage at Bonchester Bridge near Hawick. However he was diagnosed with angina shortly after the move to the Borders and he and his wife moved to Skinburness on the Solway Coast for health reasons. He moved to Pedrixknowe, Colinton Road, Edinburgh in 1991.
Outwith his professional life Howarth was a keen amateur astronomer, building his own teloscopes and cameras. He was also a good musician and played a range of stringed and wind instruments. He also enjoyed art in many forms including painting, etching, silver-smithing and sculpture.
He died after a short illness in Liberton Hospital in Edinburgh on 21 July 2006, survived by his wife, Rose Mary Melrose, for whom he cared during his last few years and by his son and his daughter.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|Markinch, Fife, Scotland||Business||1950 *|| || |
|6, Abbott Street, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland||Business||1957 *|| || |
|Borough Architect's Department, Guildhall, Northampton, Northamptonshire, England||Business||c. 1964|| || |
|6, Grune Point Close, Skinburness, Carlisle, England||Private||1979 *|| || |
|18, Glebe Close, Dalston , Carlisle, England||Private||1987 *|| || |
|3/5 Perdrixknowe, Colinton Road, Edinburgh, Scotland||Private||Before 1994(?)||2006|| |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Buildings and Designs
|This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|10 May 1957||33 two-apartment houses at Headwell||Dunfermline|| ||Fife||Scotland||per Builder p882|
|16 September 1960||Multi-storey flats, Broomhead Park||Dunfermline|| ||Fife||Scotland||as burgh architect, co-operated with George Wimpey & Co. on the plans per Builder p549|
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|RIBA||1950||The RIBA Kalendar 1950-1951|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects|| |
|RIBA||1954||RIBA Kalendar 1953-54|| || || |
|RIBA||1970||RIBA Directory 1970|| || || |
|RIBA||1979||Directory of members|| || || |
|RIBA||1987||RIBA Directory of Members 1987|| || || |
|RIBA||1994||A Directory of RIBA Members|| || || |
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|Fife Council Archives||Dunfermline Burgh records|| ||Information courtesy of Andrew Dowsey|
|H M Register House||Death Register|| || |
|RIAS, Rutland Square||Records of membership|| || |