Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||William John Urquhart |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||3 April 1914 |
|Died: ||25 February 1983 |
|Bio Notes: ||William John Urquhart was born on 3 April 1914, the son of John Urquhart, millwright and his wife, Helen Calder. He was articled to Tarbolton & Ochterlony from 1931 to 1936. At the same time he studied at Edinburgh College of Art and Heriot Watt College. In 1938 he joined the staff of the Department of Agriculture for Scotland as assistant surveyor and undertook official journeys throughout Scotland, making sketches and taking photographs. He was admitted ARIBA in 1946, proposed by Harolton Ogle Tarbolton, Sir Matthew Ochterlony and John Ross McKay. |
He still worked for the Department of Agriculture in 1973 at the time of his resignation from the RIBA.
He died on 25 February 1983, survived by his wife Sarah McBeth Johnstone and at least one son.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|73, The Grove, Dumfries , Dumfriesshire, Scotland||Private|| ||1983|| |
|2, Westfield Road, Edinburgh, Scotland||Private||1946|| || |
|161, Brooms Road, Dumfries, Dumfriesshire, Scotland||Business||1946 *|| || |
|5A/The Grove, Edinburgh Road, Dumfries, Dumfriesshire, Scotland||Private/business(?)||1950||After 1970|| |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|RIBA||1950||The RIBA Kalendar 1950-1951|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects|| |
|RIBA||1970||RIBA Directory 1970|| || || |
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|H M Register House||Death Register|| || |
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||A no8735 (Cpmbined box 216)|