Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Thomas Jack |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||25 January 1895 |
|Died: ||11 July 1979 |
|Bio Notes: ||Thomas Jack was born on 25 January 1895, the son of Robert Jack, master builder, and his wife, Marion Sharp. He was articled to Hugh Campbell of Glasgow from August 1910 to April 1915, studying at Glasgow School of Architecture. His early career was interrupted by war service with the Royal Engineers from 1915 to 1919 but he returned to architectural practice thereafter. In 1920-22 he carried out extensions and alterations to Castle Toward, presumably in association with Francis William Deas; and in 1922 he joined the Glasgow Office of Public Works where he worked on halls, libraries, baths, markets, hospitals and other building types until 1929. |
From 1930 to 1933 he carried on a private practice involving churches, schools, colleges and commercial buildings, and he spent the following two years supervising housing developments, factories, warehouses and reconditioning projects for Fryers & Penman of Largs, Bryden & Robertson of Glasgow, Magnus Duncan of Glasgow, and the Glasgow & West of Scotland Agricultural College. In 1935 he was appointed Architectural and Civil Engineering Assistant (Grade II) with the War Department, and whilst there he passed the Civil Commission Examination in 1938. He remained there until at least 1944, many of his drawings being destroyed in enemy action in 1941. He was admitted LRIBA on 13 January 1945, his proposers being William James Smith, Andrew Graham Henderson and Joseph Weekes.
By 1950 Jack had moved to Blackford in Perthshire but it is not clear if he was working in independent practice or in a firm at this time.
Jack died at the Burghmuir Hospital, Perth on 10 July 1979. His wife, Doris Girling Eagle, had predeceased him.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|30, Hamilton Park Avenue, Hillhead, Glasgow, Scotland||Private||1945 *|| || |
|Viewfield Terrace, Stirling Street, Blackford, Perthshire, Scotland||Private/business(?)||1950 *|| || |
|Suncote/55, Jeanfield Road, Perth, Perthshire, Scotland||Private||1979 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Buildings and Designs
|This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1920||Castle Toward||Toward|| ||Argyll||Scotland||Extensions and alterations - presumably overseeing F W Deas' work?|
|After 1933||West of Scotland Agricultural College|| || ||Glasgow||Scotland||Unspecified work|
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|RIBA||1950||The RIBA Kalendar 1950-1951|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects|| |
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|H M Register House||Death Register|| || |
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||L no5715 (combined box 96)|