Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Ian Alexander Mackenzie |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||16 June 1920 |
|Died: || |
|Bio Notes: ||Ian Alexander Mackenzie was born on 16 June 1920, the son of Kenneth Mackenzie, the school janitor at Dingwall Academy, and his wife Elizabeth Georgina Sutherland. He may have been related to M Mackenzie who worked John Grant Chisholm in about 1939. He studied for the diploma in architecture at Robert Gordon's College in Aberdeen. He was elected ARIBA in 1950 . Mackenzie briefly worked for the Public Works Department in Lagos, Nigeria but returned to Scotland and in 1956 joined the firm Donald Matheson & Sons, founded by Donald Matheson in 1908. |
Donald Matheson was born in 1878 and articled to Ross & Macbeth of Inverness, c.1893 to 1898, and presumably remained as an assistant. In 1906 he emigrated to Durban, but returned in 1908 to commence independent practice in Strathpeffer, moving office to Dingwall in 1910. He was subsequently appointed County Architect for Ross and Cromarty but continued his private practice. He was admitted LRIBA in 1925.
Matheson died in October 1934. The practice was carried on by his sons Donald and Huisdean who retained the firm title of Donald Matheson & Sons. The practised continued under the same name until 1956 when it became Matheson & Mackenzie when Ian Alexander Mackenzie was taken into partnership.
Mackenzie disappeared from RIBA directories in the early 1990s and had presumably ceased to practice by then.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|11, High Street, Inverness, Inverness-shire, Scotland||Business||c. 1939|| || |
|Sands, Findhorn Bay, Forres, Morayshire, Scotland||Private||c. 1987|| || |
Employment and Training
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|Bailey, Rebecca M||1996||Scottish architects' papers: a source book|| ||Edinburgh: The Rutland Press||p98|