Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Reginald Buchanan Urquhart |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||20 November 1883 |
|Died: ||August 1959 |
|Bio Notes: ||Reginald Buchanan Urquhart was born in Dysart on 20 November 1883, the son of James Urquhart, Customs Officer. The family moved from Dysart to Limekilns, Fife in 1891 and Reginald Urquhart was educated at Limekilns Elementary School. In March 1897 he was awarded the Elgin Bursary (an annual award made by the Earl of Elgin) and moved to Dunfermline High School. |
He was articled to Thomas Hyslop Ure of Dunfermline in 1899 and on completion of his apprenticeship in November 1903 joined the Superintending Engineer's office at H M Naval Establishment, Rosyth, assisting on the planning and detailing of the new naval base there. He moved to London in January 1906 to join the LCC Architects' Department in the County Hall offices as a technical assistant. His work there consisted mainly of surveying and he was heavily involved in the implementation and administration of the Factory and Workshop Act of 1901 and later the London Building Act of 1930.
From 1915 to 1919 he served as a Corporal mechanic in the Royal Air Force. In 1918 he married Lillian Fanny Adams.
In 1930 and 1931 he attended architecture classes at the Art School in Southend-on-Sea, Essex, where he lived at the time. He was admitted LRIBA in the latter year, proposed by George Topham Forrest, Robert Robertson and Douglas Niel Martin-Kaye. By that date he had had various architectural illustrations published in magazines including 'The Studio', 'Country Life' and the 'Builders' Journal'. He also had several paintings exhibited at the South London Art Gallery.
He was still with the LCC when he was elected FRIBA on 16 October 1945, his proposers being James William Hepburn, John Henry Forshaw and Edwin Williams, by which time he had also been involved in the layout of housing estates and the planning of roads and railways.
He died in 1959.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|Fairway, Tunbridge Avenue, Southend-on-Sea, Essex, England||Private||1931 *|| || |
|14, Silverston Way, Stanmore, Middlesex, England||Private||1945 *|| || |
|Rochford Road, Prittlewell, Essex, England||Private||1959|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Buildings and Designs
|This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|November 1903||Royal Naval Establishment||Rosyth|| ||Fife||Scotland||New buildings - as assistant|
|The following periodicals contain references to this architect:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|Builder||24 August 1959||v197|| ||p102 - obituary|
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|Courtesy of Sue Mowat||Information via 'Contact Us' on website|| ||Sent May 2016|
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||L no3954 (box 18); F no4109 (box 32)|