Basic Biographical Details

Name: C H Wilson & D Thomson
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1863
Ended: 1868
Bio Notes: After his brief partnership with Charles Wilson, in 1863 David Thomson entered into a partnership with the unrelated Charles Heath Wilson whose tenure as headmaster of the Government School of Design was ended when the institution was transferred from the Board of Trade to the Department of Science and Art, and he set up business as an architect although his practice had been limited to monuments and ship interiors rather than buildings. Nevertheless he had some influential patrons and became Honorary Director of the School which thereafter became the School of Art and a trustee of the Haldane Academy. Thomson took him into partnership some time in the following year but in 1868 Wilson withdrew to live and work in Florence.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 129, St Vincent Place, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness18641868 

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 2David Thomson18631868Partner 
Item 2 of 2Charles Heath Wilson18631868Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 151864Duntreath CastleStrathblane StirlingshireScotlandRebuilding
Item 2 of 151864(?)Oban Episcopal Cathedral of St John the DivineOban ArgyllScotlandWork had commenced under Charles Wilson, and was continued by David Thomson under his new partnership with the unrelated Charles Heath Wilson
Item 3 of 151865BroomhallLimekilns, Dunfermline FifeScotlandPortico and internal alterations
Item 4 of 151865BroomhallLimekilns, Dunfermline FifeScotlandportico on north front
Item 5 of 151865Memorial to Prince Consort  EdinburghScotlandCompetition designs for both Princes Street and Queen Street sites
Item 6 of 151866Benmore, The LodgeKilmun ArgyllScotland 
Item 7 of 151866Charterhall, The LodgeFogo/Duns BerwickshireScotland 
Item 8 of 151867Barncluith, Monument to the Duke of HamiltonCadzow LanarkshireScotland 
Item 9 of 151867Glasgow Necropolis, Monument to John Graham GilbertDennistoun GlasgowScotland 
Item 10 of 151867McLellan Art Gallery and warehouse  GlasgowScotlandConversion of part of the building into a picture gallery for Corporation
Item 11 of 151867Pollok House stablesPollok GlasgowScotlandAlterations -Wilson mainly responsible
Item 12 of 151868(?)Ewart InstituteNewton Stewart WigtownshireScotlandNorth east tower added - presumably completed by Wilson after dissolution of partnership
Item 13 of 151868McCorquodale's Printing Works  GlasgowScotlandCompleted by Wilson after dissolution of partnership
Item 14 of 15c. 1868Design for a villaOban (near) ArgyllScotland 
Item 15 of 15c. 1868(?)Design for a village episcopal chapel     

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Smith, George Fairfull2000'Charles Heath Wilson and David Thomson: a forgotten architectural partnership' AHSS Magazine, no 11, Winter 2000