Basic Biographical Details

Name: Wilson & Thomson
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: March 1862
Ended: 1863
Bio Notes: Charles Wilson formed a partnership with his long-serving assistant David Thomson in March 1862. When Wilson died the following year he continued the practice which consisted thereafter principally of church, school and country house work. Later in that same year, 1863, the unrelated Charles Heath Wilson's tenure as headmaster of the Government School of Design was ended when the institution was transferred from the Board of Trade to the Department of Science and Art, and he set up business as an architect although his practice had been limited to monuments and ship interiors rather than buildings. Nevertheless he had some influential patrons and became Honorary Director of the School which thereafter became the School of Art and a trustee of the Haldane Academy. Thomson took him into partnership some time in the following year but in 1868 Wilson withdrew to live and work in Florence. (See entries on the partners for further information.)

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 2Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness   
Item 2 of 229, St Vincent Place, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness18621877Remained at this address until the practice was merged with Thomson & Turnbull.

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 2Charles WilsonMarch 18621863Partner 
Item 2 of 2David ThomsonMarch 18621863Partner 

References

Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.