Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Wilson & Tait |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1903 |
|Ended: ||1937 |
|Bio Notes: ||Henry (Harry) Wilson was born on 27 March 1880 and was articled to George Deas Page of Falkirk in July 1895, attending classes at the Falkirk School of Art and Science. On completion of his apprenticeship in 1900 he moved first to Lerwick as assistant to John Morgan Aitken and then a year later to Glasgow as assistant to R MacLelland (probably a civil engineer), also spending some time in MacLelland's office in Johnstone, Renfrewshire. This move enabled Wilson to study at Glasgow School of Art under Alexander McGibbon. |
In 1903 Wilson commenced independent practice in partnership with a slightly older apprentice at Page's, David Alexander Tait. Tait had been born on 16 December 1879 and articled to Page in June 1897, remaining with him as an assistant. During his time with Page he had attended Falkirk School of Science and Art and the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College.
The firm of Wilson & Tait was based at Grangemouth. Both architects were admitted LRIBA in the mass intake of 20 July 1911 without the need of proposers, Tait's nomination being supported by a character reference from the chairman of Grangemouth Public School Board. Wilson's house was then at Carnach, Polmont and Tait's at Sunnylea, Ronaldshay Crescent, Grangemouth. Wilson & Tait appear to have briefly had an office in Edinburgh at 122 George Street from about 1913-15. Presumably this was to to enable them to undertake a particular job in the city but this has not yet been traced. They also had a branch office in Jedburgh in the mid-1930s, presumably to oversee projects there.
Tait retired in 1937. In the same year Henry Wilson merged his practice with that of Strang & Wilson, James Strang also having retired in that year, the combined practice of Wilson & Wilson being now based in Strang's office at 39 Vicar Street, Falkirk. The surviving partner of Strang & Wilson, Robert Wilson, was not related to Henry Wilson and had been articled to an as yet unidentified practice in Falkirk before the First World War.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|Falkirk, Stirlingshire, Scotland||Business(?)|| || || |
|Lumley Street, Grangemouth, Stirlingshire, Scotland||Business||1911 *|| || |
|122, George Street, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||c. 1913||After 1919|| |
|Jedburgh, Roxburghshire, Scotland||Business||Before 1934||After 1937|| |
|Station Road, Grangemouth, Stirlingshire, Scotland||Business||Before 1935||After 1937|| |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architectural practice:|
|Measurers\' Companion||1911||The Scottish Architects' and Measurers' Companion|| || || |
|Post Office Directories|| || || || || |