Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Huon Arthur Matear |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||1856 |
|Died: ||14 February 1945 |
|Bio Notes: ||Huon Arthur Matear was born in 1856, the son of James Matear, architect. He was educated at Dr Saul's School, Rockferry, and articled to James Francis Doyle in Liverpool in 1872, remaining as assistant until 1880 ('Who's Who in Architecture 1914) or 1882 (RIBA nomination paper) at Watson Buildings, Harrington Street, Liverpool. He moved to Stanley Street in the 1890s and Dale Street c.1900. |
After a period in partnership with C S Ingham, in 1903 Matear took into partnership Frank Worthington Simon whose Edinburgh partnership of Anderson Simon & Crawford had ended in a lawsuit and whose subsequent continued partnership with Alexander Hunter Crawford had been dissolved in November 1903. The immediate purpose of the Matear & Simon partnership was to design Holy Trinity Church at Southport, but in 1904 it won the major competition for Liverpool Cotton Exchange; this was followed by a further commission for a major city office block, Orleans House on Bixteth Street to which Matear moved his own office.
The partnership of Simon and Matear withered after 1907 and in 1910 Simon took Henry Boddington into partnership.
Matear died in retirement at Esher, Surrey on 14 February 1945.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|Stanley Street, Liverpool, England||Business||Between 1890 and 1899 *|| || |
|The Temple, Dale Street, Liverpool, England||Business||c. 1900|| || |
|Esher, Surrey, England||Private||14 February 1945 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
|The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|Matear & Simon||1903||After 1907||Partner|| |
Buildings and Designs
|This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1903||Holy Trinity Church||Southport|| ||Lancashire||England||Church begun|
|After 1903||Holy Trinity Church||Southport|| ||Lancashire||England||Continued in partnership|
|1905||Liverpool Cotton Exchange|| || ||Liverpool||England|| |
|1907||Orleans House|| || ||Liverpool||England|| |
|Before 1913||Holy Trinity Church||Southport|| ||Lancashire||England||Completed by Matear|
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|British Architectural Library, RIBA||2001||Directory of British Architects 1834-1914|| || || |