Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Haxton & Walker |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1907 |
|Ended: ||c. 1914 |
|Bio Notes: ||Andrew David Haxton was born on 10 April 1878 in St Andrews and came of a family of grocers. In November 1893 he was articled to Gillespie & Scott in St Andrews, remaining with them for one-and-a-half years as an assistant after completing his apprenticeship. During that time he took art classes with the painter and teacher Robert Smeaton Douglas, then based at Madras College in St Andrews, and won prizes for measured drawing from the Dundee Institute of Architects. He moved to Harrogate as assistant to Thomas Edward Marshall in 1900, and later in the same year moved to Glasgow as assistant to Thomson & Sandilands, studying at the Royal Technical College. In the following year he returned to Gillespie & Scott's office in St Andrews as chief assistant, and he remained there until he commenced practice on his own account in 1907, in partnership with a younger friend and colleague in Gillespie & Scott's office, William Walker. |
William Walker was born in 1881, the son of a wine merchant of the same name in Cupar, where he was educated at the Bell Baxter School, but his family originally came from Longforgan in Perthshire. He was articled to Gillespie & Scott in St Andrews in 1898 and remained as assistant until 1906 when he joined Swanston & Syme in Kirkcaldy. During that period he sketched extensively in Scotland and England and made at least one study tour in France, working in Normandy and the area around Paris. Walker and his two sisters were very musical, William being secretary of the St Andrews Musical Association.
The partnership of Haxton & Walker was based in Leven at 3 High Street, Walker having won the competition for a commercial block there. Both partners were admitted LRIBA on 24 June 1912, proposed by William Fleming Wilkie and the Dundee Institute of Architects.
Walker enlisted at the beginning of the First World War and was commissioned in the Highland Cyclists Battalion, initially stationed at his native Cupar and at Lundin Links. Having risen to the rank of Captain he was posted to India but was invalided home. He was know as Captain Walker thereafter.
Walker was not well enough to resume the Leven partnership, but he married Jenny Reid McCririck of St Andrews and continued to practise from their home at 81 North Street, St Andrews whilst being cared for by her. He was elected FRIBA in January 1921, his proposers being William Williamson, William Fleming Wilkie and John Wilson. His nomination papers state that he was architect to the Commissioners of the Burghs of Pittenweem and Crail and the District Committee of Cupar, and that he had acted as expert adviser to Fife County Council on the erection of a sanatorium, although it is unclear to which sanatorium this applies. He died at home in February 1923. His widow then asked William Fleming Wilkie, then living at Graigower, St Andrews, to take over the practice and complete the work in hand.
Haxton continued to practise alone in Leven, subsequently taking Adam Elliot Watson (born 1908) into partnership.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|3, High Street, Leven, Fife, Scotland||Business|| || || |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architectural practice:|
|Measurers\' Companion||1911||The Scottish Architects' and Measurers' Companion|| || ||Indicates at 3 High Street, Leven in this.|
|The following archives hold material relating to this architectural practice:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMS||Haxton & Watson Collection|| ||Plans and drawings.|
|Professor David M Walker personal archive||Professor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material|| ||Personal information from Glen L Pride|