Basic Biographical Details

Name: Smith & Ross
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1910
Ended: After 1919
Bio Notes: Thomas Smith was born in 1862 and educated at Rosehall Works School and Gartsherrie Academy after his family moved to Coatbridge in 1871. He was articled to an as yet unknown architect in Glasgow and commenced business on his own account in 1887 in Coatbridge where he won commissions for several local churches - Blairhill, Cliftonville Parish Church and Coatbridge Baptist Church. He designed a number of Coatbridge Corporation housing schemes and carried out work for Stewart & Lloyd. By 1895 he was the original studio master at Glasgow School of Art while practising in Coatbridge, and in that year he took on Robert Thorn Ross (born 1878) as an apprentice. Ross attended classes at Coatbridge Technical School and Glasgow School of Art (1898-99) and remained with Smith as an assistant until he was made a partner in 1910. He was admitted LRIBA in the mass intake of 20 July 1911, proposed by John Bennie Wilson and the Glasgow Institute of Architects, which he had joined two years previously.

The partnership, its office being at 3 Church Street, Coatbridge, appears to have continued after the First World War but Ross was practising alone from Neilson Terrace by 1924 and later moved to Strathaven.

Smith was active in public life, in 1895 becoming a member of Old Monkland Parish Council, subsequently a Magistrate and Police Judge and eventually Provost of Coatbridge for a term of three years. He was finally appointed as Deputy Lieutenant of Lanarkshire.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 1Coatbridge, Lanarkshire, ScotlandBusinessBefore 1914After 1919 

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 2Robert Thom Ross1910Before 1924Partner 
Item 2 of 2Thomas Smith1910Before 1924Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 41910 or 1911(?)BarncluithHamilton LanarkshireScotlandRestoration, remodelling of interior, new entrance porch and new wing - involvement uncertain as may have been done prior to formation of partnership
Item 2 of 41910 or 1911(?)Business premises for William Bain & CoCoatbridge LanarkshireScotlandInvolvement uncertain - may have been built prior to formation of partnership
Item 3 of 41910 or 1911(?)Coatdyke UF ChurchCoatdyke, Coatbridge LanarkshireScotlandInvolvement uncertain - may have been built prior to formation of partnership
Item 4 of 41910 or 1911(?)Holytown Parish Church hallsHolytown LanarkshireScotlandInvolvement uncertain - may have been built prior to formation of partnership

References

Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.