Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Campbell Reid & Wingate |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1914 |
|Ended: ||1915 |
|Bio Notes: ||James Campbell Reid was born in 1879 the son of John Reid, Glasgow and was educated at Allan Glen's School, Glasgow. He was articled to Thomson & Turnbull from 1893 to 1897 and then had himself apprenticed to a firm of builders and contractors for practical experience which lasted four years, during which period he acted as architectural assistant to Charles Gourlay at the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College. In 1902 and 1903 he found employment as a draughtsman with various firms and undertook extended visits abroad, spending several months in Normandy and Paris where he appears to have attended selected lectures at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts rather than taking a full course. Over the next few years he continued to make study tours, spending a fortnight each year in France and a week each year in England. |
He commenced practice on his own account in 1904 in Blythswood Square, Glasgow. He passed the qualifying exam in November 1906 and was admitted ARIBA on 4 March 1907, his proposers being David Barclay, architect to the College, Thomas Lennox Watson and James Milne Monro. By that date he had moved office to 209 St Vincent Street, with a house at 328 Golfhill Drive. He was admitted FRIBA on 2 December 1912, his proposers being George Bell, Alexander Nisbet Paterson and John Bennie Wilson.
In 1914 Reid merged his practice with that of Alexander Wingate, probably because he was then planning to set up practice in London. Wingate had been born in 1875 and educated at Kelvinside Academy. He had been articled to Miles Septimus Gibson 1892-97, attending classes at Glasgow School of Art. He had then obtained a place in the office of John Burnet & Son, from which he had moved to that of Arthur Beresford Pite in 1899 enabling him to take classes at the Architectural Association. He had remained with Pite until 1903 when he undertook an extensive study of France, Italy, Spain and Portugal, returning to continue practice in Glasgow in 1905. He had been admitted LRIBA in the mass intake of 20 July 1911. Along with George Bell II, Wingate had been appointed Glasgow Institute of Architects representative to the Architectural Department of the Royal Technical College in 1913.
Reid & Wingate's most important building was the McKechnie warehouse on Bell Street, Glasgow, a masterpiece of the classical modern genre. Unfortunately the partnership did not survive the First World War: Wingate, who had reached the rank of 2nd Lieutentant with the 9th Regiment Highland Light Infantry, was killed in action in France in October 1915. Reid was a Royal Naval Reservist and survived the war. He was somewhat damaged in health but implemented his post-war intention of opening a London office at 6 New Burlington Street. He died following a short illness on 30 November 1923.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|Glasgow, Scotland||Business|| || || |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Buildings and Designs
|This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1914||Warehouse, 6-20 Bell Street|| || ||Glasgow||Scotland||Completed by Campbell Reid after Wingate's death|
|The following periodicals contain references to this architectural practice:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|RIBA Journal||6 November 1915|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects||Obituary of Wingate pp8 &13|
|RIBA Journal||22 December 1923|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects||Obituary of Reid p121|