Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||William Wittet |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||21 April 1901 |
|Died: ||26 April 1990 |
|Bio Notes: ||William Wittet was born on 21 April 1901, the son of architect John Wittet of Elgin. He served in the Royal Navy during the First World War. After the war he was articled to his father on 3 February 1919 and attended Aberdeen School of Architecture from 1920, obtaining his diploma in June 1922. He became his father's assistant on 22 January 1923, a salaried partner on 1 January 1925 and a share partner three years later, the firm becoming J & W Wittet. He was admitted LRIBA in early 1932, his proposers being Robert Leslie Rollo, Robert Gordon Wilson Junior and James Lochhead. |
In the 1930s the Wittets had an office in Skye, probably continuing the Highland and west coast practice established by William Reid.
During the Second World War Wittet served with the Royal Engineers/MOD.
William continued the business under the existing name after his father's death on 18 March 1952. In 1973 an office was opened once again on the Isle of Skye in the Pier Hotel, Broadford. The following year the office moved to the home of the assistant in charge, Bill Simpson, at 12 Scullamus and it moved again in 1974 to the Old Post Office Buildings, Broadford. In 1975 on the departure of Bill Simpson, Magnus Gunnarsson took over as assistant in charge. He was assumed into partnership two years later. Wittet retired in 1976.
The practice continued to flourish, becoming a limited company in 1986, having moved to 26 Hay Street, Elgin.
Outwith his work Wittet's interests included scouting, Freemasonry, rugby, politics (he was awarded the OBE for his servoces to the Conservative Party), opera and theatre and amateur dramatics.
William Wittet died om 26 April 1990.
The NMRS holds a collection of his student work dating from 1920-22.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|26, Hay Street, Elgin, Morayshire, Scotland||Business||1931 *|| || |
|Bheim Lhora, St Catherines Place, Elgin, Morayshire, Scotland||Private||1931 *|| || |
|81, High Street, Elgin, Morayshire, Scotland||Business||Before 1950||Before 1964||It is not yet clear when the practice moved to Moss Street. They may have returned to High Street after 1970.|
|6, Moss Street, Elgin, Morayshire, Scotland||Business||Before 1964||After 1970|| |
|Dunbarney, West Road, Elgin, Morayshire, Scotland||Private||1970 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
|The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|John Wittet||3 February 1919||22 January 1923||Apprentice|| |
|John Wittet||22 January 1923||1 January 1925||Assistant|| |
|John Wittet||1 January 1925||1 January 1928||Partner||Salaried partner|
|J & W Wittet||1 January 1928||After 1986||Partner||Share partner|
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|RIBA||1950||The RIBA Kalendar 1950-1951|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects|| |
|RIBA||1970||RIBA Directory 1970|| || || |
|The following periodicals contain references to this architect:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|RIAS Newsletter||June 1990||Vol 1 no 12|| || |
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMS||RIAS Collection|| ||Student drawings|
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||L no4123 (box 22)|