Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Lowe & Barrie |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1922 |
|Ended: ||After 1970 |
|Bio Notes: ||James Lowe was born in 1866 and articled to Ireland & Maclaren of Dundee in 1882. On completing his apprenticeship in 1887 he found employment as an assistant in the office of Robert Blackadder, where he learned the civil engineering side of the business. After two years there he left to become an assistant to James Hendry Langlands Senior, who had been apprentice and assistant with Ireland & Maclaren and had taken over the firm's offices after the deaths of the two partners. Lowe remained with Langlands until 1901 when he set up practice on his own account. His offices were at 104 Commercial Street, Dundee, and remained there for the rest of the practice's existence. |
Lowe was admitted LRIBA in the mass intake of 20 July 1911, proposed by William Fleming Wilkie and the Dundee Institute of Architects. By that time he was living at Duncraggan, Blairgowrie where he had particularly good connections and subsequently opened a branch office. Shortly before his death in November 1922, Lowe took his son Robert William Lowe (born 1899) and his assistant Alexander Corbett Barrie into partnership; the two continued the practice thereafter, with Barrie as senior partner. The firm is generally referred to as Lowe & Barrie but appears also to have been known as James Lowe & Co.
Lowe and Barrie were primarily civil engineers. Like William Bruce Dickie Keith they called on Vernon Constable when sophisticated work was required, as at the alterations to A & S Henry's and the Masonic Hall, Tullideph Road, both in Dundee.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|104, Commercial Street, Dundee, Scotland||Business||1922||After 1930|| |
|9, Brown Street, Blairgowrie||Business||1 February 1957|| ||Builder p252|
|39, Dock Street, Dundee, Scotland||Business||1964 *|| || |
|7, Brown Street, Blairgowrie, Perthshire, Scotland||Business||Before 1964||After 1970|| |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architectural practice:|
|Municipal Annual||1964||Scottish Municipal Annual||1964-1965|| || |
|RIBA||1970||RIBA Directory 1970|| || || |