Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Hutton & Tough |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1901 |
|Ended: ||c. 1910(?) |
|Bio Notes: ||James Hutton was articled to David Mackenzie in Dundee c.1870 and about the time of Mackenzie's death in 1875 moved to Glasgow to work for Horatio Kelson Bromhead. He returned to commence independent practice in Dundee at 62 Commercial Street in 1880. In 1882 he won the competition for St John's Free Church, Dundee and designed Montpelier House for the Town Clerk, Sir Thomas Thornton; but the severe recession following the City of Glasgow Bank liquidation of 1878-81 resulted in him seeking a place in the Burgh Engineer's Office where he was engaged on the detailed planning and design of Whitehall Street and Crescent, under the supervision of William Mackison. He resumed wholly independent practice after his work on these streets was complete. Whether he was the partner of William Knox in the Edinburgh practice of Knox & Hutton is doubtful as no obvious connection between them is identifiable, and the practice title of Knox & Hutton was not used in the Dundee directories or on Hutton's drawings. |
Hutton drowned in a rescue attempt while on holiday in Montrose on 11 August 1901. Earlier that year he had entered into a partnership with Edward Tough, who continued the practice. Tough had been born in 1878 and articled to Hutton in 1893, and had attended Patrick Hill Thoms's classes at Dundee Technical School. Around 1898 he had moved to the office of Dykes & Robertson in Glasgow in order to widen his experience and attend the classes of the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College. From there he had moved to London to work for Wimperis & Best from which office Hutton had invited him to return as partner.
Tough was admitted LRIBA in 1910 his proposers being the three leading Dundee practitioners Patrick Thoms, William Fleming Wilkie and John Donald Mills. But shortly thereafter he was implicated in a financial impropriety relating to houses in Bingham Terrace ('Burke's Richels') built by a trust operated by the Dundee solicitor A Fordyce Burke. Tough had signed duplicate certificates which were subsequently found to differ from the originals. He then emigrated but his destination is not known.
Tough's practice was almost wholly domestic. His best work is in an Arts and Crafts manner which at times shows American influence. Some of it is close in style to the work of William Gillespie Lamond, suggesting that Lamond may have provided spare-time assistance, but Lamond's daughter Jessie had no recollection of him working for Tough.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|61, Reform Street, Dundee, Scotland||Business||1910 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
|The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|James Hutton||1901||1901||Partner|| |
|Edward Tough||1901||c. 1910(?)||Partner||Continued practice after Hutton's death in 1901|
Buildings and Designs
Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.