Basic Biographical Details

Name: Gardner & Gardner-McLean
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1925(?)
Ended:  
Bio Notes: Alexander Gardner was born at 95 Regent Street, Greenock on 20 May 1863, the son of Alexander Gardner, grocer and flour miller, and his wife Janet Crawford. He was articled to Malcolm Stark in 1878, moving in 1883 to the office of Hugh Hough Maclure as assistant. During that period he studied at Glasgow School of Art (in 1883-4) and Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College. He progressed to the position of head assistant in Maclure's office and left in 1888 to commence practice in Glasgow on his own account. He was an active member of the Architectural Section of the Royal Philosophical Society of Glasgow, holding the offices of Honorary Secretary (1901-05), Vice-President (1905-07) and President (1907-09); amongst his papers read to the Society were 'The City Churches of Glasgow', 'Some Old Glasgow Buildings' and his presidential address, 'Notable Scottish Architects'.

Gardner was admitted LRIBA in the mass intake of 20 July 1911, proposed by John Bennie Wilson and the Glasgow Institute of Architects. He was admitted FRIBA in November 1925, his proposers being John Fairweather, John Thomson and Ninian Macwhannell. It appears to have been in this year that he entered into partnership with George Hunter Gardner-McLean, who may have been a relative. Born in Glasgow on 18 November 1885, the son of John Gardner McLean, solicitor and Lorenza Hamlin Hunter (subsequently Henry), Gardner-McLean had been educated at Hutcheson's School for Boys and began his architectural training in 1900, serving a five-year apprenticeship with an unspecified firm and studying at the Glasgow School of Art and Royal Technical College. After completing his apprenticeship he had worked in the office of John James Burnet for two years, and from 1912 to 1915 was an assistant in the Public Works Department, Glasgow. From 1915 to 1918 he had served in the First World War as a Captain with the Royal Engineers and commanded the 52nd (Lowland) Divisional Engineers, Royal Engineers Territorial Army with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel and Brevet Colonel. From 1919 he had worked in partnership with Hugh Campbell.

Gardner was married to Euphemia Ann Carrick Barclay. He died on 2 February 1926 at 121 Hill Street, his normal address at that time being 89 Eldon Street, Greenock. Gardner-McLean then became sole partner of the firm which retained the Gardner name.

Gardner-McLean had a particular interest in church buildings and for a number of years he served on the Church of Scotland Committee on artistic matters. He was admitted LRIBA in early 1931, his proposers being John Maurice Arthur, George Arthur Boswell and the then secretary of the Glasgow Institute of Architects. He was appointed OBE in 1935 and was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh. He was elected FRIBA on 9 January 1939, proposed by William Brown Whitie, John Stewart and James Lochhead. For some years he was a member of the Council of the Glasgow Institute of Architects and became its President in 1939-40. He was also chairman of the Garden Cities and Town Planning Association in Scotland and for several years acted as Chairman of the Scottish Building Centre in Glasgow, of which he was a director.

In the Second World War he was Deputy Chief Engineer Scottish Command with the rank of Colonel and he became Chief of the Directorate of Emergency Works in Scotland. He died of cancer and cerebral thrombosis at Canniesburn on 24 December 1961.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 2134, Bath Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness1919c. 1932 
Item 2 of 26, India Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusinessc. 1934After 1950 

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 5(Colonel) George Hunter Gardner-McLean1925(?) Partner 
Item 2 of 5Alexander Gardner1925(?)March 1926Partner 
Item 3 of 5Hector John Watt Stirling1925(?)1927Apprentice 
Item 4 of 5Hector John Watt Stirling19271935Assistant 
Item 5 of 5William Charles Thyrd WrightMid 1920sBefore 1928Apprentice 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 26After 1925(?)Garage and storesPolmadie GlasgowScotlandDate and therefore partnership uncertain; by Campbell & Gardner-McLean if before 1925, and by Gardner & Gardner-McLean if after 1925
Item 2 of 26After 1925(?)Metallic Manufacturing CompanyArdrossan AyrshireScotlandDate and therefore partnership uncertain; by Campbell & Gardner-McLean if before 1925, and by Gardner & Gardner-McLean if after 1925
Item 3 of 26After 1925(?)Offices of Clyde Bonding Company Ltd   ScotlandDate and therefore partnership uncertain; by Campbell & Gardner-McLean if before 1925, and by Gardner & Gardner-McLean if after 1925
Item 4 of 26After 1925(?)Residence(s)Bearsden GlasgowScotlandDate and therefore partnership uncertain; by Campbell & Gardner-McLean if before 1925, and by Gardner & Gardner-McLean if after 1925
Item 5 of 26After 1925(?)Residence(s)Whitecraigs GlasgowScotlandDate and therefore partnership uncertain; by Campbell & Gardner-McLean if before 1925, and by Gardner & Gardner-McLean if after 1925
Item 6 of 26After 1925(?)Residence(s)MillportGreat CumbraeButeScotlandDate and therefore partnership uncertain; by Campbell & Gardner-McLean if before 1925, and by Gardner & Gardner-McLean if after 1925
Item 7 of 26After 1925(?)Residence(s)Newlands GlasgowScotlandDate and therefore partnership uncertain; by Campbell & Gardner-McLean if before 1925, and by Gardner & Gardner-McLean if after 1925
Item 8 of 26After 1925(?)Residence(s)Helensburgh DunbartonshireScotlandDate and therefore partnership uncertain; by Campbell & Gardner-McLean if before 1925, and by Gardner & Gardner-McLean if after 1925
Item 9 of 26Before 1925(?)InstituteLarbert StirlingshireScotlandDate and therefore partnership uncertain; by Campbell & Gardner-McLean if before 1925, and by Gardner & Gardner-McLean if after 1925
Item 10 of 26c. 1925(?)Factory for the British Oxygen Company LtdPolmadie GlasgowScotland 
Item 11 of 261929St David's Church, hall church  GlasgowScotland 
Item 12 of 261930Gartcosh Parish ChurchGartcosh GlasgowScotlandDesign exhibited
Item 13 of 261932Caledonian Baking Co  GlasgowScotland 
Item 14 of 261932Newton Mearns Parish ChurchNewton Mearns RenfrewshireScotlandDesign exhibited
Item 15 of 261933Burns Memorial Church, Church halls and roomsKilsyth StirlingshireScotlandDesign exhibited
Item 16 of 261933Caledonia BakeryKilsyth StirlingshireScotlandDesign exhibited
Item 17 of 261934Scottish National Development Council Exhibition House, Kelvin Hall  GlasgowScotland 
Item 18 of 261935Broom CottageHelensburgh DunbartonshireScotland 
Item 19 of 261935West FairfieldHelensburgh DunbartonshireScotland 
Item 20 of 261937Scottish Special Areas - exhibition house   Scotland 
Item 21 of 261938Glasgow Empire Exhibition, Gas PavilionBellahouston GlasgowScotland 
Item 22 of 261938St David's ChurchKnightswood GlasgowScotland 
Item 23 of 261950Askit Laboratory and Factory  GlasgowScotlandTo prepare plans for extensions
Item 24 of 261952New buildings, Kelvinside  GlasgowScotlandTo prepare plans for new buildings
Item 25 of 261952Queen's Own Camerons Highlanders Club, Queen's Crescent  GlasgowScotlandAlterations and additions
Item 26 of 261958Maritime House  GlasgowScotland 

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this architectural practice:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 3Builder10 November 1950  p483
Item 2 of 3Builder1 February 1952  p205
Item 3 of 3Builder25 April 1952  p641