Basic Biographical Details

Name: John Fraser & Son
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: c. 1938(?)
Bio Notes: John Fraser was practising in Dunfermline from at least the second decade of the 20th century. He undertook work for the Carnegie Trust and for the Dunfermline Co-operative Society.

His son John Strachan Fraser followed him into the profession. Born on 14 March 1908, he attended day classes at the School of Architecture, Edinburgh College of Art from 1925 to 1928, gaining his certificate in the latter year and with it an exemption from the RIBA intermediate examination. He worked in the office of Dick Peddie & Walker Todd from August 1928 to October 1930, continuing to study at the College of Art, and travelling around Scotland and to Oxford and the Cotswolds during his holidays. He gained his diploma in June 1931 and passed the Professional Practice exam the following month, enabling him to be admitted ARIBA early the following year, his proposers being John Begg, Frank Charles Mears and Charles Denny Carus-Wilson. By that time he had joined his father's practice at 3 Randolph Street, Dunfermline and was living at 24 Woodmill Road in the same town. He was taken into partnership as John Fraser & Son later in the 1930s.

In 1950 the practice title was given as John Fraser & Sons indicating that a second son had joined the practice by that date. Iti is still listed as such in 1970.

The elder Fraser died in 1941.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 2Dunfermline, Fife, ScotlandBusiness   
Item 2 of 211, Maygate, Dunfermline, Fife, ScotlandBusinessBefore 1959After 1964 

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 2John Fraserc. 1938(?)1941(?)Partner 
Item 2 of 2John Strachan Fraserc. 1938(?)After 1980(?)Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 91933Houses for Fife County CouncilKincardine-on-Forth FifeScotland 
Item 2 of 91935Dunfermline Public ParkDunfermline FifeScotlandNew bandstand? Decorative panel exhibited this year
Item 3 of 91938Houses, BraeheadAlva ClackmannanshireScotland 
Item 4 of 91938St Leonard's HouseDunfermline FifeScotlandConversion to teacher training hostel
Item 5 of 91939Ice RinkDunfermline FifeScotland 
Item 6 of 91947Reinforced Concrete Paddling Pool, Pittencrief Park Dunfermline  Scotland 
Item 7 of 929 May 1959Dunfermline Cottage HospitalDunfermline FifeScotlandarchitect for new fuel store per Builder p978
Item 8 of 9Early 1970sDunfermline Cottage HospitalDunfermline FifeScotlandFlats for married doctors and upgrading wards and nurses' quarters.
Item 9 of 9Early 1970sPavilion for Dunfermline Sports clubDunfermline FifeScotland 


Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
Item 1 of 1RIBA1950The RIBA Kalendar 1950-1951 London: Royal Institute of British Architects 

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this architectural practice:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Builder29 May 1959  p978