Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||James Foggie & Son |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1894 |
|Ended: ||1920 |
|Bio Notes: ||James Foggie was born in Ferryport-on-Craig (now Tayport) on 13 June 1834, the son of a joiner there. He was educated at Tayport and Dundee High School prior to being apprenticed to his father as a joiner. At the end of his apprenticeship he obtained a place with Pugin's London builder George Myers and remained with him before deciding to return to Dundee and become an architect. He obtained a place with George Mathewson, then practising from West Ferry and on his death in the mid 1850s completed his architectural education with James Paterson. |
Foggie then commenced practice from a tenement flat in Dundee, initially designing mainly for the family building firm and specialising in working class and middle class tenement housing. After some years in practice he was elected to Dundee Town Council for the Fifth Ward, becoming a Baillie in 1874, and later also a police commissioner in his native Tayport. He was also prominent in the Nine Trades as boxmaster of the Wrights.
Foggie married Margaret Kilgour on 2 January 1855. Among their many children were James Kilgour Foggie, an art dealer with house and gallery at Balgay Terrace, 162 City Road, Milnbank; David Foggie RSA, a distinguished artist; and Thomas Kilgour Foggie, born 15 June 1870, who was articled to his father c.1885-90, attended classes at Dundee Technical College and travelled in France. He was made a partner in 1894 as James Foggie & Son, and succeeded to the practice on his father's death in 1895, specialising in suburban houses, most of which were in a simple harled Harrison Townsend and Voysey-derived idiom. He was admitted LRIBA on 24 June 1912; his practice, never large, suffered severely during the First World War and his final years were spent in considerable financial distress. Frank Thomson recalled that he was near to tears when pleading with his father, James Thomson, the City Architect, for a share of the Addison Act housing in 1919, but it had already been allocated. He died in 1920.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|45, Commercial Street, Dundee, Scotland||Business||Before 1911||After 1912|| |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
|The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|James Foggie||1894||1895||Partner|| |
|Thomas Kilgour Foggie||1894||1920||Partner|| |
Buildings and Designs
Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.