Basic Biographical Details

Name: A & A C Dewar
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1888
Ended: c. 1907
Bio Notes: Andrew Dewar was born in Edinburgh on 10 December 1846, the son of Stewart Dewar and Jane Blair. He was articled to Robert Paterson and during his articles in 1863 won the First Medal for geometrical drawings from the Architectural Institute of Scotland. At some point he moved to Leven where he took his younger brother Alexander Cumming Dewar into partnership as A & A C Dewar, Architects and Surveyors in 1888 (Bailey gives 1886, but A & A C Dewar drawings begin 1889). Alexander Cumming Dewar had been born in Edinburgh on 1 October 1859, and had been educated at George Heriot's School where he was Gold Medallist and Bursar, after which he had attended the Royal Academy Schools. He had been articled to Shiells & Thomson of Edinburgh from 1875 to 1880, and thereafter had assisted in various offices in Glasgow and London before returning to Scotland to join his brother in partnership.

Alexander was appointed Town Clerk c.1892, retaining the position for the rest of his life and serving under six Provosts. Andrew emigrated to work abroad c.1907, Alexander continuing the practice alone thereafter.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 2Leven, Fife, ScotlandBusiness   
Item 2 of 234, Marchmont Crescent, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusiness1885 * Not in 1886, however

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 2Andrew Dewar (later A Redcote Dewar)1888c. 1907Partner 
Item 2 of 2Alexander Cumming Dewar1888c. 1907Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 171888Durie Estate, feuing plans  FifeScotland 
Item 2 of 171889Simpson Memorial InstituteUpper Largo FifeScotlandUnsuccessful competition design
Item 3 of 171890s(?)Buildings with shopsMethil FifeScotland 
Item 4 of 171890s(?)Moodies BuildingsMethil FifeScotland 
Item 5 of 171894Colinsburgh Town HallColinsburgh FifeScotland 
Item 6 of 171896Cellardyke School and Schoolteacher's houseCellardyke FifeScotlandSecond storey and west wing added and old part reclad in matching stone.
Item 7 of 171896(?)Methil Co-operative Society Premises, Harbour WyndMethil FifeScotlandOne phase of alterations within this period or earlier? Possibly carried out by Alexander Cumming Dewar alone after Andrew Dewar's emigration c.1907
Item 8 of 171897New Parish ChurchLeven FifeScotland 
Item 9 of 171898Street plan South Street and High StreetLeven FifeScotlandWidening of street by removal of old buildings
Item 10 of 171898Tenement of four housesDysart FifeScotland 
Item 11 of 171898Thistle Golf ClubLeven FifeScotland 
Item 12 of 171904Seamen's InstituteMethil FifeScotland 
Item 13 of 171906Cairngreig MansionMethil FifeScotland 
Item 14 of 171906Leven Ladies' Golf Club pavilionLeven FifeScotland 
Item 15 of 171907Temperance HallKennoway FifeScotland 
Item 16 of 171927Houses, Sweerie GreenNewburgh FifeScotland 
Item 17 of 171928Largo CemeteryLargo FifeScotlandPlans for extension agreed

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Bailey, Rebecca M1996Scottish architects' papers: a source book Edinburgh: The Rutland Pressp112
Item 2 of 2Post Office Directories