Basic Biographical Details

Name: George Donaldson Copland
Designation: Architect
Born: 3 July 1874
Died: 3 December 1938
Bio Notes: George Donaldson Copland was born at 21 Sandyford Place, Glasgow on 3 July 1874, the son of Sir William Robertson Copland, civil engineer and his wife Elizabeth Jane Donaldson. He was articled to Clarke & Bell from May 1891 to 1896. From August to November 1893 he took a break from his apprenticeship to travel in Canada and the United States, and from 1894 he studied at Glasgow School of Art. He remained with Clark & Bell as an assistant for a further two years after completing his training, leaving in March 1898 to join the Glasgow Corporation Engineer's Department. He served as an assistant there for five years, with the exception of the period from 31 March to 8 July 1902 which he spent sketching and measuring in France and Italy.

In May 1903 he commenced independent practice at 146 West Regent Street, Glasgow in partnership with Allan Ferguson Duncan, the firm being known as A F Duncan & G D Copland. The two had met in the Clarke & Bell office, where Duncan (born 1870) had been apprenticed from 1892 and had remained as assistant thereafter, except for a period of travel in Italy and Spain. Both Duncan and Copland were elected LRIBA in the mass intake of 20 July 1911, proposed by John Bennie Wilson and the Glasgow Institute of Architects.

The Duncan & Copland partnership continued until Copland's death from bronchitis on 3 December 1938, but latterly his principal business was as an insurance broker, the occupation given on his death certificate. He was survived by his wife Helen Tyre and son Ian.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 4146, West Regent Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusinessBefore 19041920 
Item 2 of 411, Hillhead Street, Glasgow, ScotlandPrivate1911 *  
Item 3 of 4160, Hope Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusinessBefore 19241938 
Item 4 of 45, Elmwood Avenue, Newton Mearns, Renfrewshire, ScotlandPrivate1938 *  

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employers

The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 4Clarke & BellMay 18911896Apprentice 
Item 2 of 4Clarke & Bell1896March 1898Assistant 
Item 3 of 4Glasgow Office of Public Works Architectural Department (later Glasgow Corporation City Engineer's Department)March 1898May 1903Assistant 
Item 4 of 4A F Duncan & G D CoplandMay 19031938Partner 

RIBA

RIBA Proposers

The following individuals proposed this architect for RIBA membership (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate proposedNotes
Item 1 of 1John Bennie Wilson20 July 1911for Licentiateship - as President of the Glasgow Institute of Architects

Buildings and Designs

This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 221892(?)City and County Buildings and second Merchants' House  GlasgowScotlandReconstruction of former Council Chambers and Municipal Buildings on Ingram Street as Sheriff Courts - as apprentice/assistant to Clarke & Bell
Item 2 of 22After 1894North Kelvinside Secondary SchoolNorth Kelvinside GlasgowScotlandAs apprentice/assistant to Clarke & Bell
Item 3 of 221898Quarrier's Homes, Consumptive HospitalBridge of Weir RenfrewshireScotlandSecond block - as assistant to Clarke & Bell and R A Bryden
Item 4 of 221899Whitevale Street Baths  GlasgowScotlandAs assistant in Glasgow City Engineer's Department
Item 5 of 221902Clutha Weaving Factory  GlasgowScotlandAdditions
Item 6 of 22After 1903AbattoirPort Glasgow RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 7 of 22After 1903CottagesCathcart GlasgowScotland 
Item 8 of 22After 1903Factory for Carsons Ltd  Glasgow?ScotlandAdditions
Item 9 of 22After 1903Factory for John Tullis & Sons  GlasgowScotlandAdditions
Item 10 of 22After 1903Factory for Messrs J Brown & Sons  GlasgowScotlandAdditions
Item 11 of 22After 1903Factory for R & J Dick Ltd  GlasgowScotlandAdditions
Item 12 of 22After 1903Glasgow University Football Pavilion  GlasgowScotland 
Item 13 of 22After 1903HouseDunfermline FifeScotland 
Item 14 of 22After 1903HouseHamilton LanarkshireScotland 
Item 15 of 22After 1903House, Montgomerie Drive  GlasgowScotlandAlterations
Item 16 of 22After 1903Kirn Parish Church HallsKirn ArgyllScotlandAdditions
Item 17 of 22After 1903Tenements and villasPort Glasgow RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 18 of 221905Broadstone Jubilee HospitalPort Glasgow RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 19 of 221905Football pavilion, University Avenue  GlasgowScotland 
Item 20 of 221910Barrowfield Works  GlasgowScotlandTop storey added to main block
Item 21 of 221911Coronation Picture House  GlasgowScotland 
Item 22 of 221912Gateside Public SchoolCambuslang LanarkshireScotlandUnsuccessful competition entry but awarded premium (3rd place?)

References

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architect:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 2Professor David M Walker personal archiveProfessor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material Research by Iain Paterson
Item 2 of 2RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers L v16 no 1194