Basic Biographical Details

Name: Caledonian Railway Company Architect's and Engineer's Department
Designation: Architectural practice
Ended: 1923
Bio Notes: The Engineer's Office appears to have been a sub-section of the Architectural Department.

The Caledonian Railway Company was amalgamated into the new London Midland & Scottish Railway in 1923.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 2Buchanan Street Station, Glasgow, ScotlandBusinessBefore 1906After 1912 
Item 2 of 2St Enoch Station, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness1938 *  

* earliest date known from documented sources.

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 15James MillerBefore 18881892AssistantFirst at Perth under John Morrison Barr until 1888; thereafter at Glasgow under George Graham
Item 2 of 15George Graham1889 *   
Item 3 of 15James Lowson18901892AssistantWorking on joint project with Caledonian Railway Company
Item 4 of 15Alexander Alban Hamilton Scott (or Archibald Alban Hamilton Scott, or Augustine Alban Hamilton Scott)Mid 18971898Architect 
Item 5 of 15W M Pettigrew1899 *   
Item 6 of 15Matthew Adam18991923Senior Assistant 
Item 7 of 15James Smith13 March 189918 June 1900Assistant 
Item 8 of 15Robert Whitelaw Caldwellc. 1900 AssistantLater Engineer in Chief
Item 9 of 15Herbert Mayer Barker19011903AssistantUnder Donald A Matheson, Engineer-in-Chief
Item 10 of 15James Smith24 June 190113 November 1908Assistant 
Item 11 of 15William A RobbAfter 19081923Architect 
Item 12 of 15Hugh MacphersonJune 19111923Assistant 
Item 13 of 15John Mackie Venters29 March 191231 January 1920AssistantWith the exception of war service, 26 February 1915 to 18 March 1919
Item 14 of 15J Young1915 * Architect 
Item 15 of 15Robert Davidson GoodfellowMay 19231923Assistant 

* earliest date known from documented sources.

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 18After 1890Barrhead Goods StationBarrhead GlasgowScotlandWith Glasgow & South Western Railway Company
Item 2 of 18After 1890Kennishead Station  GlasgowScotlandWith Glasgow & South Western Railway Company
Item 3 of 181897Coatbridge StationCoatbridge LanarkshireScotland 
Item 4 of 181897Station buildingsWemyss Bay RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 5 of 181899(?)Glasgow Central Station  GlasgowScotland 
Item 6 of 18After 1900Buchanan Street Station, Caledonian Railway Engineer's Office  GlasgowScotland 
Item 7 of 18After 1900LaundrySlateford EdinburghScotland 
Item 8 of 18After 1900Station buildings and tenements, Eglinton Street  GlasgowScotland 
Item 9 of 181901Station buildingsDoune PerthshireScotland 
Item 10 of 181901Station, Upper GreenockGreenock RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 11 of 181902LaundrySlateford EdinburghScotlandCaretaker's house - with Pirie as architect
Item 12 of 181902Wemyss Bay Railway Station, CottagesWemyss Bay RenfrewshireScotlandPlans for station master's house and employees houses drawn up with Pirie as assistant in Caledonian Railway Architect's and Engineer's Department
Item 13 of 18c. 1902Railway workers cottages and engine drivers cottages    With Pirie as assistant
Item 14 of 181903Wemyss Bay Railway StationWemyss Bay RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 15 of 181903Wemyss Bay Railway Station, Station Master's HouseWemyss Bay RenfrewshireScotlandWith James Miller as chief architect. Plans for station master's house and employees houses drawn up with Pirie as assistant in Caledonian Railway Architect's and Engineer's Department
Item 16 of 181905Glasgow Central Station  GlasgowScotlandExtension of concourse buildings
Item 17 of 181907Buchanan Street Railway Station  GlasgowScotlandExtensions to Caledonian Railway Company Head Offices
Item 18 of 181923Gleneagles HotelGleneagles PerthshireScotland 


Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.