Basic Biographical Details

Name: G T & C T Ewing
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1910(?)
Ended:  
Bio Notes: Nothing is yet known of the background of George Turnbull Ewing who succeeded to the patronage of the Heathcote-Drummond-Willoughby family after the Kennedys were dismissed in 1877, gradually remodelling Drummond Castle from 1878 onward. His first new-build commission, Comrie Free Church, 1881, is competent French Gothic and suggests an apprenticeship in an office of some standing. In 1882 he received the commission for the parish church of Crieff following a competition won by James Marjoribanks MacLaren, and it seems likely that its Dunblane-inspired architecture owed something to MacLaren's design, having nothing in common with the Comrie church. The practice was continued by Ewing's son, Charles Turnbull Ewing, born in 1880 and educated at Morrison's Academy, Crieff and at the University of Glasgow (1896-98). He was articled to John James Burnet from 1899 to 1903, remaining as assistant until 1905 and taking classes at Glasgow School of Art and Glasgow Technical College. Thereafter he worked with his father for a time before securing London experience with Sir Aston Webb, from whose office he returned in 1910 to become principal assistant in his father's practice. He was a very skilful Burnetian designer, and commenced practice as a principal in 1910, seemingly in partnership with his father. He was admitted LRIBA on 4 July 1910, his proposers being Aston Webb, John James Burnet and Leonard Stokes. He served as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Royal Garrison Artillery during the First World War.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 1Crieff, Perthshire, ScotlandBusiness   

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 2George Turnbull Ewing1910(?) Partner 
Item 2 of 2Charles Turnbull Ewing1910(?) Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 11914The House of RossComrie PerthshireScotlandRebuilt with alterations after fire

References

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architectural practice:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 2A K Bell Library, PerthPerth & Kinross Archive Death notice of George (January 1953) - per John Gifford
Item 2 of 2RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers L v1 no79 (microfilm reel 29); F no2351 (microfilm reel 17) (William Finlayson's paper giving details of jobs and time spans)(Goerge Turnbull Ewing; L v2 no116 (microfilm reel 29) (Charles Turnbull Ewing)