Basic Biographical Details

Name: Archibald Anderson Symon
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1846
Ended: 5 December 1930
Bio Notes: Archibald Anderson Symon was born in 1846 at Crathie. He was articled to John Carver of Meigle from 1866 to 1871 and remained as assistant until he became a partner in 1888. After Carver died in 1896 Symon retained the style of Carver & Symon into the 20th century. His son Alexander entered the practice as apprentice in 1890 and remained as assistant but left to gain wider experience in 1898, returning to enter into partnership with his father prior to 1912.

Archibald Symon was a member of the Dundee Institute of Architects from the time of its inception in 1902, and served as president soon thereafter. His statement in his RIBA nomination papers that he "could have been elected a Fellow at that time if I had cared" suggest that he was somewhat aggrieved at only being entitled to apply for Licentiateship, for which he was admitted on 24 June 1912, proposed by the Dundee Institute and its then president William Fleming Wilkie.

A London office was opened in 1919 with Alexander in charge, Archibald being based in Arbroath with an additional office in Forfar (Carver had offices in Meigle, Arbroath and Forfar in his later years) and retaining responsibility for the Angus end of the practice. Archibald Anderson Symon died on 5 December 1930.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 4Brothock House, Arbroath, Angus, ScotlandBusiness1912 *  
Item 2 of 434, Castle Street, Forfar, Angus, ScotlandBusiness1912 *  
Item 3 of 452, Lochland Street, Arbroath, Angus, ScotlandPrivate1912 *  
Item 4 of 4Brothock Bridge, Arbroath, Angus, ScotlandBusiness1930 *  

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employers

The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 3John Carver18661871Apprentice 
Item 2 of 3John Carver18711888Assistant 
Item 3 of 3Carver & Symon18881930Partner 

RIBA

RIBA Proposers

The following individuals proposed this architectural practice for RIBA membership (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate proposedNotes
Item 1 of 1William Fleming Wilkie24 June 1912for Licentiateship - as President of the Dundee Institute of Architects

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 121883Fern Parish ChurchFern AngusScotland 
Item 2 of 121889High SchoolArbroath AngusScotland 
Item 3 of 121890Inverbrothock Public SchoolInverbrothock AngusScotlandNew school
Item 4 of 121892Parkhouse SchoolArbroath AngusScotland 
Item 5 of 121893Woodside House and stables  AngusScotland 
Item 6 of 121895Alyth Public SchoolAlyth PerthshireScotlandAddition
Item 7 of 121895High SchoolArbroath AngusScotlandSouth wing
Item 8 of 121897Keptie Public SchoolArbroath AngusScotlandAlterations and additions
Item 9 of 121900Memus Free ChurchTannadice AngusScotlandSymon working alone- reconstruction
Item 10 of 121907Rescobie Parish ChurchRescobie AngusScotlandInterior remodelled with new furnishings
Item 11 of 12c. 1910Keith & Blackman's Engineering WorksArbroath AngusScotland 
Item 12 of 121916ManseInverbervie KincardineshireScotlandRefronting of older section

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this architectural practice:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Builder5 December 1930v139 p968 - obituary
Item 2 of 2RIBA Journal19 September 1931v38London: Royal Institute of British Architectsp740 - obituary

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architectural practice:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 1RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers L v26 no2107