Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||David Lindsay Allan |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||1874 |
|Died: || |
|Bio Notes: ||David Lindsay Allan was born in 1874. He was educated at Dundee High School and apprenticed to John Murray Robertson from 1890 to 1894, remaining as assistant and studying at Dundee Technical Institute. In 1897 Allan obtained a place in the office of Niven & Wigglesworth in London which enabled him to study at the RA Schools from 1898. He then returned to Dundee, becoming an assistant to Robert Blackadder at 41 Reform Street. Allan joined the Dundee Institute of Architects in 1902 and after three years with Blackadder was taken into partnership in 1903, but the practice could not be said to have flourished architecturally despite its influential connections. |
On Robert Blackadder's retirement in 1908 Allan merged the practice with Leslie Ower's as Leslie Ower & Allan, at Ower's 5 Whitehall Street office, probably to retain the civil engineering side of the Blackadder practice, Ower being civil engineer as well as architect. Robert Blackadder's son David then moved his law practice to 32 Castle Street.
Allan was admitted LRIBA on 24 June 1912 and his nomination papers state that prior to that time he had undertaken several study tours, spending two periods of two weeks in Normandy and Brittany and three weeks in Italy.
The practice did not survive Leslie Ower's retirement early in 1916; because Allan was in the Armed Forces, the business was taken over by Thoms & Wilkie, and thereafter in Frank Thomson's words Allan 'simply gave up' on his return. By 1926 he was in practice from The Shieling, Fryston Avenue, East Croydon, which was home as well as office.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|5, Whitehall Street, Dundee, Scotland||Business||1908||After 1914||with Leslie Ower|
|11, Louise Terrace, Broughty Ferry, Dundee, Scotland||Private||Before 1912||After 1914|| |
|The Shieling, Fryston Avenue, East Croydon, Surrey, England||Private/business||1926 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
|The following individuals proposed this architect for RIBA membership (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date proposed||Notes|
|William Fleming Wilkie||24 June 1912||for Licentiateship - as President of the Dundee Institute of Architects|
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|Who's Who in Architecture||1914|| || || || |
|Who's Who in Architecture||1926|| || || || |
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|Professor David M Walker personal archive||Professor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material|| ||Information from Margaret Lye and Frank Thomson.|
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||L v23 no1836|