Basic Biographical Details

Name: John Tonner
Designation: Architect
Born: 30 December 1910
Died: 9 March 1950
Bio Notes: John Tonner was born at Dalmuir, Dunbartonshire on 30 December 1910 and attended evening classes at Glasgow School of Architecture. He was articled to Boston, Menzies & Morton of Greenock on 3 September 1928, and on completion of his five-year apprenticeship he was appointed assistant in the same firm. He was promoted to chief assistant two years later, but left in 1937 to take up a post as assistant architect to the Corporation of Greenock, where he was promoted to principal architect in 1939.

On 7 July 1944 Tonner was taken into partnership in the firm of Stewart, Tough & Alexander, along with Douglas L Crawford. He was still there when he was admitted LRIBA on 13 March 1945, his proposers being Jack Antonio Coia, William James Smith and William Salmond. His nomination papers state that besides the works listed, he also had considerable experience of designing housing schemes and private domestic work and was principal architect for all civil defence work in the Burgh of Greenock.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 2Hamilton Street, Greenock, Renfrewshire, ScotlandBusiness1940s  
Item 2 of 2Ascog, Denholm Terrace, Greenock, Renfrewshire, ScotlandBusiness1945 *  

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employers

The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 6Boston, Menzies & Morton3 September 19283 September 1933Apprentice 
Item 2 of 6Boston, Menzies & Morton3 September 19331935Assistant 
Item 3 of 6Boston, Menzies & Morton19351937Chief Assistant 
Item 4 of 6Greenock Corporation19371939Assistant Architect 
Item 5 of 6Greenock Corporation1939Before 1944Principal Architect 
Item 6 of 6Stewart, Tough & Alexander7 July 1944After 1945Partner 

RIBA

RIBA Proposers

The following individuals proposed this architect for RIBA membership (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate proposedNotes
Item 1 of 3Jack Antonio Coia13 March 1945for Licentiateship
Item 2 of 3William Salmond13 March 1945for Licentiateship
Item 3 of 3(Professor) William James Smith13 March 1945for Licentiateship

Buildings and Designs

This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 5 Hillend ClinicGreenock RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 2 of 5Before 1945Greenock Municipal BuildingsGreenock RenfrewshireScotlandReconstruction - as principal architect
Item 3 of 5Before 1945Lady Alice SchoolGreenock RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 4 of 5Before 1945Ruthrieston InstituteGreenock RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 5 of 5Before 1945Watt Memorial SchoolGreenock RenfrewshireScotlandUnspecified work - as assistant

References

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architect:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 1RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers L no5736 (combined box 97)