Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Walter Henderson Gillespie |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||3 December 1913 |
|Died: ||19 April 1983 |
|Bio Notes: ||Walter Henderson Gillespie was born on 3 December 1913, the son of John Gillespie, gardener, and his wife Mary McOustra Taylor. He was articled to Walter W Reid of Falkirk in 1929. On completing his apprenticeship in 1933 he studied for five years at Glasgow School of Architecture, at the same time working as architectural assistant in the Burgh of Falkirk Architectural Department. Whilst there he was awarded a Historical Travelling Scholarship by Glasgow School of Art in 1936, enabling him to study Italian Renaissance architecture first-hand; and in 1936 he achieved third place in the RIAS's Rutland Constructional Design competition. He obtained his diploma in 1938 and for the following two years he lectured in Historical and Constructional Drawing at Falkirk High School whilst still working in the Burgh of Falkirk Architectural Department. By 1950 he had taken the post of Burgh Architect of Alloa; by 1953, he had been appointed to the then recently-created post of Architect and Planning Officer at Stirling. |
In 1940 he was appointed chief architectural and civil engineering assistant to the Command of the Royal Engineers based at Ach-an-cas Island, Bank Road, Inverness. He was still there when he was admitted LRIBA on 14 November 1944, his proposers being Jack Antonio Coia, William James Smith and John Wittet. His nomination papers state that he had been 'principally engaged in Housing Hospitals & Civic Buildings'.
He was elected FRIAS in 1961. By 1964 he was the representative of the Stirling chapter of the RIAS.
He may have retired by about 1970. He resigned from retired membership of the RIBA in January 1981. At that time he was living at 25 Dalmorglen Park, Stirling. He died there on 19 April 1983, survived by his wife Janet Eassie Wilson and at least one son.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|Command of Royal Engineers, Ach-an-cas Island, Bank Road, Inverness, Inverness-shire, Scotland||Business|| || || |
|Lindertis/5, Abbots Road, Grangemouth, Stirlingshire, Scotland||Private||1944 *|| || |
|25, Dalmorglen Park, Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland||Private/business||1944 *||After 1970|| |
|Municipal Offices, Allan Park, Stirling, Scotland||Business||1954 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|Municipal Annual||1964||Scottish Municipal Annual||1964-1965|| || |
|RIBA||1950||The RIBA Kalendar 1950-1951|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects|| |
|RIBA||1970||RIBA Directory 1970|| || || |
|The following periodicals contain references to this architect:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|Builder||1 May 1953|| || ||p700 - refers to Architect and Planning Officer (Stirling) appointment|
|Builder||21 May 1954|| || ||p918|
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||L no5672 (combined box 94)|