Basic Biographical Details

Name: J & F Salmond
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1873
Ended: 1920
Bio Notes: The Salmond practice had a long if architecturally undistinguished history. It was founded in 1826 by James Sime, Schoolmaster of Strathmartine, as surveyor. In 1853 James Salmond was taken into partnership as Sime & Salmond, but in 1855 Sime died. James was subsequently joined by his brother Frank who was born oin Letrham, Angus and had been trained as a civil engineer with the Caledonian Railway under its engineer-in-chief George Graham, becoming a partner under the style of J & F Salmond in 1873. Frank's son William Salmond, born on 20 June 1878, was articled to the family firm from 1894 to 1899 and remained as assistant for a year after completing his apprenticeship, subsequently working in the Office of Public Works, Glasgow under Alexander Beith McDonald and with civil engineer P Tawse of Aberdeen before returning to the family firm in August 1903 as senior assistant. He was made a junior partner on 1 January the following year. James Salmond retired in 1904 and died in 1905, and Frank Salmond died in 1911, leaving William as sole partner. In 1920 the practice merged with the Dundee architectural firm of Maclaren Sons & Soutar with John Turnbull Maclaren, Charles Geddes Soutar and William Salmond as partners. Salmond's architectural practice prior to the merger had consisted almost exclusively of farm steadings, farmhouses, and farm cottages.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 16, High Street, Dundee, ScotlandBusiness18741920 

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 13William Bellc. 1872c. 1877ApprenticeLater assistant
Item 2 of 13James Salmond18731904Partner 
Item 3 of 13Frank Salmond18731911Partner 
Item 4 of 13William Bellc. 1877Before 1881Assistant 
Item 5 of 13Henry Cox McCullochJanuary 1889November 1889 or July 1890(?)Assistant 
Item 6 of 13Charles Mann18901894Apprentice 
Item 7 of 13Henry Cox McCullochMarch 1891July 1892Assistant 
Item 8 of 13Charles Mann18941897Junior Assistant 
Item 9 of 13William Salmond18941898Apprentice 
Item 10 of 13Charles Mann18971903Senior Assistant 
Item 11 of 13William Salmond18981899Junior Assistant 
Item 12 of 13William SalmondAugust 1903December 1903Senior Assistant 
Item 13 of 13William Salmond1 January 19041920PartnerAbsent in France on war service, 1914-19

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 251873Liff Board School and schoolhouseLiff AngusScotland 
Item 2 of 251875Murroes SchoolMurroes AngusScotland 
Item 3 of 251875The Old School HouseMuirhead of Liff AngusScotland 
Item 4 of 25c. 1878Offices at 15 Albert Square and 97 Commercial Street  DundeeScotlandResponsible for planning; elevation to Mackison's design
Item 5 of 25c. 1880Tenement on the corner of Seagate and Gellatly Street  DundeeScotland 
Item 6 of 25c. 1896Tenement, 101 Magdalen Yard Road  DundeeScotland 
Item 7 of 25After 1897Bonded whisky warehouse and offices for W & S Strong  DundeeScotland 
Item 8 of 251904Double villa, Fingask Street  DundeeScotland 
Item 9 of 251904FarmhouseWhitfield DundeeScotland 
Item 10 of 251905Castle Mains steading  Angus?ScotlandAlterations
Item 11 of 251905Double villa, Adelaide Terrace  DundeeScotland 
Item 12 of 251905House, steading and dairyNew Mains AngusScotland 
Item 13 of 251906Ardgarth Farmhouse and SteadingArdgarth AngusScotlandReconstruction and alterations
Item 14 of 251906Balfield Farm steadingBalfield AngusScotlandAdditions
Item 15 of 251906Four blocks of tenementsMonifieth AngusScotland 
Item 16 of 251906Rawes Farm steadingLongforgan PerthshireScotlandReconstruction
Item 17 of 251907Murroes SchoolMurroes AngusScotlandAdditions
Item 18 of 251907Park Machine Works  DundeeScotlandAlterations
Item 19 of 251907Tealing SchoolTealing AngusScotlandAdditions
Item 20 of 251908FarmhouseOld Balkello AngusScotland 
Item 21 of 251908Reconstruction of shopNewport FifeScotland 
Item 22 of 251908Whitelawstone farm and steadingWhitelawstone/Whitelawston DundeeScotlandAdditions
Item 23 of 251910Dairy for Forfarshire Pure Milk Supply Co Ltd  AngusScotland 
Item 24 of 251910Linlathen HouseBroughty Ferry DundeeScotlandAlterations
Item 25 of 251910Mansion house, stables and cottageCarnoustie AngusScotland 

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Post Office Directories     

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architectural practice:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 1Professor David M Walker personal archiveProfessor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material Personal information from William Salmond.